Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Artist of the Week


Artist: Leeland
Album: Love Is On The Move
Song: Follow You


What about love and justice? What do we do about the social justice issue? It seems as though this issue has become a liberal/conservative issue rather than an issue of helping those who need help. A more liberal slant on the issue states that we should share with others in their suffering and treat them as Jesus would. This is great, but that slant also tends to include the fact that since we are helping them and loving them as Jesus, we don’t need to share the Gospel with them. A more conservative slant says that the Gospel is all we need to tell them. Words speak louder than actions, so we don’t do much for their physical needs. Well, I don’t go along either side. I think a middle-of-the-road approach is what we need to take. First and foremost, we need to have the attitude that these people need to be saved. They need Jesus. So don’t only use words and don’t only do things. You need a combination of both. Sometimes words are all it takes, and sometimes actions alone will show them to the Gospel. But we need to be prepared to do both. A good song filling the airwaves now is Follow You by Leeland. I want this song to be how I live and love Christ by helping those who need Him. Here are the lyrics to the song.

You lived among the least of these
The weary and the weak
And it would be a tragedy for me to turn away.

All my needs you have supplied.
When I was dead you gave me life.
How could I not give it away so freely?

And I'll follow you into the homes that are broken.
Follow you into the world.
Meet the needs for the poor and the needy God.
Follow you into the World.

Use my hands, use my feet
To make your kingdom come
Through the corners of the earth
Until your work is done
'Cause Faith without works is dead
And on the cross your blood was she'd
So how could I not give it away so freely?

Click on Artist of the Week to see a video of the song.

We should have a desire to give away what Christ did for us to those around us, for our neighbors who may have a broken home. We need to help meet the needs of the poor and the needy. We are called to do this. Let us love those around us with the love of Christ, first with the desire to see them become saved and then to help them with their physical needs. Sometimes we have to help before they will listen. As one lady said to my old youth pastor, “How is your Jesus going to feed my baby today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment